Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Turn of Events

This past week was one of rest and relaxation. Since our arrival to this side of the world we have not taken any official breaks, but this week we finally got to spend some time as a team just relaxing, no schedule. We spent three days at a common tourist destination, Pokhara. While there we relaxed at a beautiful bed and breakfast, complete with garden and weight room. The guys enjoyed the opportunity to lift some kilograms. We took in the sights of the Fewa Lake and the gorgeous sunrise from Sarangkot (although we arrived at the top of this hill at least an half hour after the sun was already up). We enjoyed motorbike rides through the countryside and visited a children's village. But most of all we were thankful for the time that our Father gave us to rest and relax.

Unfortunately, things took a change towards the end of our stay there. Our last night in Pokhara was one filled with the sounds of food poisoning. In addition to that, earlier that night during our supper there were many people preparing to attend a party. This was no ordinary party it was one filled with drugs and other unpleasant things I'm sure. It was sad to see so many people excited about this party, looking forward to getting lost in the trance, dance, drugs, etc. It seemed that every person that was going was a chain smoker and definitely enjoyed their choice of drink. As they got on the bus, one of three that were traveling to this party, I could see dead people. People wasting their lives. Death. Not knowing the truth and what will bring them true pleasure and life. Even after the bus had already left many others would come to the restaurant trying to find out how they could get to this party. They didn't want to miss out. They fervently searched out ways to get there. As I said, all I could see in these people was death. I wonder how many of them didn't come back that night...

The next day was spent at the hospital as Natasha needed to get some fluids back in her. Thank you for all your pr-yers, she is feeling better these days although she is still a little weak and tired. Here at the hospital I experienced something similar to the night before. I could see death once again. As was the case for the party goers, it was not actual literal death, but just a sense of no hope for those who came to the hospital. I saw many Hindus there and in them I could see death. I had never seen it this way in them before which is why it struck me as hard as it did. The family members of the sick and the sick themselves were representations of death to me. I saw no hope in them. They were dark. It brought to my memory the verse in 2 Cor. 2:15-16

For we are to G_d the aroma of Chr_st among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.

So, I wonder if they saw something different in me, Natasha and the believers that helped us. Did they see light and life. Was it a pleasant fragrance? Or was I to them the smell of death, as what I saw in them? I wish I would have taken the opportunity to talk with them...

There are many people in this world that are living as dead people. What role do we play in their lives...? It is my pr-yer that we will be bold to share with them the truth through the testimony of J_sus working in our lives. That they may learn what it is to live fully in Him and have hope and true life.

Acts 4:13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with J_sus.

May others see that we have been with J_sus. I thank G-d for the rest He has given us these last couple days in KTM. May we continue to find our strength in Him.

Praises:
For a restful and relaxing retreat
For Natasha's health - she is better
For safe travels back to KTM this week
For opportunities that He gives each one of us every day to share with or serve others

Requests:
For our travels to the T.bet border today - we will be sharing there for 10 days
For health among the team
For the words to speak when words are needed
Continued growth in team unity
That each one of us may find and spend quality time in the presence of our Father each and every day
For the lost souls all across the world

Peace be with you!

Jess

No comments: