Austin Showalter
1/30/09
"Good morning sir, Good morning sir, Good morning sir…" is the echo we hear when we enter a classroom to teach at the PTL Christ Academy School in Khuttar. Kush, Shane and I are staying with Biju, the principle of Mainia Christ Academy. Since Mainia School has exams the whole time we are here, Biju drives us 30 min by motorbike to Khuttar School to teach. As we introduce our selves to the students they stand respectfully at attention until we realize that they are going to stand there until we give them permission to sit. We motion for them to sit, which is accompanied by a chorus of "thank you sir." We stand there in front of the class wondering how in the world we are going to entertain these kids for about 45 minutes. A stick lies across the table in front of us, it is the primary source of control that the teachers have over the kids. Disregarding the stick we tell the kids to get out their English books and we read stories to give them practice with their English. They all know English fairly well but we still run into communication barriers sometimes. They are mostly well behaved and listen to us, but a time or two my patience has been tested and I was tempted to try out the stick.
Sometimes we play with the kids during their free period. We either play games in their class room or go out to the filed to play games. Their favorite is coco. "Sir play coco, Sir play coco, Sir play coco…" it is a game similar to tag, I still don't really know the rules I just run around and try not to get taggedJ
On days when we don't teach we read from scripture or various other books that have proved to be spiritually enriching. The time that we have been here at the schools has been very fulfilling for me, while we haven't had as much to do for the school as I though we might, I have been enriched spiritually through all the reading that I have been able to do.
Each Sunday they ask each of us to give a short message. Something that we don't really feel qualified to do but through His Spirit we have found strength to accomplish the tasks set before us.
The girls, Jess and Natasha, have been helping out at another PTL school in Sampurna Nagar. It is about a 2 hour drive form where we are staying
Praises:
We can see God working here with the PTL schools and Staff.
God is continuing to show us new things and principles about living a life for Him.
Requests:
Safety as we travel.
That He would continue to empower of the Christian Staff at the schools.
Blessings in Christ!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's so much fun for me to hear about your time in Eastern U.P. I was in Khuttar with Manoj and Rani during the time we were in the villages, and I loved it. :) Little Joshua probably isn't so little any more. :) We're praying for you guys as you serve there. Be blessed as you teach, and enjoy the beauty of the countryside. :)
Post a Comment